Friday, July 24, 2009

Turning into a pumpkin 3

I. HAVE. A. PUMPKIN.

I REPEAT.
I. HAVE. A. PUMPKIN.

Amazingly, I wasn't even aware of its presence till about a week ago. I'd been carefully coddling a couple of other blooms that were showing the baby beginnings of pumpkins when one morning, out watering, I pushed back a leaf and there my pumpkin was in all its green glory.
Nearly scared the crap out of me.
Sometimes horticultural success does that to you.

And truth be told -- there may be more. Between the pumpkin vine and the most wildly robust Sweet 100 cherry tomato plant we've ever had (the damn thing's taller -- and wider -- than me and loaded with tomatoes to boot), it's kind of hard to tell what exactly is going on back in that corner of the garden. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, we have Junior is resing comfortably on a plastic footstool so he won't stress his vine too much (I read that in a book somewhere.)

And I shout to the world -- I. HAVE. A. PUMPKIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment