Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Waiting for snow


The National Weather Service assures us we'll be getting 1-3 inches of snow later today and maybe another inch or 2 tomorrow. But, suprisingly, I'm approaching this snowfall vigil with uncharacteristic equanimity, especially given my basic aversion to anything white, wet and cold with an annoying tendency to accumulate.

I think it's because, overall, the weather has actually been quite nice. It's amazing what a little blue sky and sun will do for a gal.
Christmas week was drop-dead gorgeous (if not a little chilly) -- and, looking back, the 3 or so inches of snow that fell around the middle of the month was quickly disposed of, thanks to several days of rain. Then, there was that week with sun and temperatures in the high 40s, low 50s. I can live with this.

My mom, who was here visiting over Christmas, also had a good point: Any snow that falls now might "only" be on the ground for a couple of months as opposed to 3 or 4 months when it falls in November-December. Thanks, mom. I feel better now.

Ulimately, I find the greatest consolation in the extended forecast -- temperatures in the mid- to high 30s and rain by the weekend. Works for me.

I've got plenty of indoor recreation planned in the meantime: A stack of new Christmas books. . . a house-cleaning blow-out after 10 days of guests. . . replenishing our homemade bread inventory. . . and, TAH DAH, making fresh pasta. Yes, Santa brought us a pasta machine. Nice. More on that later.

So, let it snow. And let it rain. Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment