Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Out and About: A Friends of Manito plant sale


"Out and About" is an occasional feature documenting some of the unique, quirky and/or totally fabulous aspects of living in the fair city of Bermtopia.

I need another perennial plant like I need a hole in the head.

(Actually, what I need is 80 degree days and 55 degree nights to spur on my flippin' vegetable garden.)

But, since that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon, it turns out I did need another perennial, thanks to a weird winter shrub rose kill-off. And the best place to find one -- The Friends of Manito plant sale. There was one last Saturday.

Oh, the humanity.


TFM plant sales take place about three times a year: Basically twice in the spring and once in fall. Sometimes, they throw in a surprise sale in here and there during the summer. You've got to be nimble to keep track of these guerrilla sales.

That being said, every sale brings out a confabulation of humanity. Spring is the best though: Thousands of people intent, judging by their multiple shopping carts, on landscaping the state of Montana three times over -- and then me, with a humble butterfly bush in hand.

Thank god for the cash/check check-out line.

At some time, in the much-anticipated Land o' Retirement, I envision myself as a lady of The Friends of Manito (as long as we don't dither too long on the size of pea gravel used in the pathways of Duncan Gardens.) I love opinion-ating, right or wrong, according to the Holy Code of Perennial Gardeners, about plants and gardening.

Best thing, funky floppy hats are de rigueur.


I like funky, floppy hats.

So that's Out and About this week: A Friends of Manito plant sale -- I got me the perennial I needed . . . talked to a very large man with no teeth but three shopping carts full of perennials. . . took in a hat show. . . and strolled through Manito's beautiful perennial garden.

In the rain.

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's heaven for?"


No comments:

Post a Comment