Monday, July 25, 2011

The news from When Pigs Fly Farm

Cherokee Purple

Yes. The Wonderfully Patient Spouse and I took a short vacation last weekend. And yes, Mr. and Mrs. Farmer Jim watered admirably while we were gone.

I left behind tomato plants mad with blossoms. I returned to a three plants full of fruit. Everywhere. And then some.

Snowberry


We're talking some potentially serious tomatoes here. Between Farmer Jim and myself, if even a small percentage of these tomatoes ripen, we will have tomatoes up the yahoo for at least infinity. I think we will be able to feed all of Bermtopia.






It is truly amazing -- and one of the most rewarding things about gardening -- and no doubt a tribute to some keen farming on FJ's part and myself -- that you can go from the When Pigs Fly Plastic Bag Farm to this

in a relatively few short weeks. Actually, it's probably just a luckily serendipitous combination of water, fish fertilizer and sunlight, but I won't tell Farmer Jim if you don't.

Here are a couple more highlights: 

Peppers comin' on!








Farmer Jim's pickling cukes are starting to climb.











Japanese eggplant, just now blossoming -- you coy thing, you.











And corn. Well, my golly sakes! Corn does grow as high as an elephant's eye. (Well, ok, maybe Farmer Jim's eye. Which is close to an elephant. No, stop. What I mean is, Farmer Jim isn't an elephant, but he is Rather Tall. Never mind. You know what I mean.)








And the lowlights? It really wouldn't be When Pigs Fly Farm without them, would it?

Newly planted carrots: Lame. Take a lesson from your humble, but overachieving rock star cousin, the radish. Cowboy up and grow a little, would you?




Newly planted romaine lettuce: Complete fail. Time for arugula.








And, finally, CHECK OUT WPFF Composting Incorporated! Farmer Jim whipped up this little number in his spare time last week. The lid weighs at least 2,000 pounds -- obviously intended to deter, frustrate and otherwise flummox any and all Composting Varmints.

You know who you are.
  
Don't even think about crossing Farmer Jim.

Or he will cut you.

Not.

2 comments:

  1. Used to look at my grass as a complete waste of time, water and fertilizer, just to keep the neighborhood dogs happy (soft cushy toilet facility). Now with this compost hopper in the picture, I see my grass as a very valuable crop to provide the necessary nutrients naturally!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO doubt there'd be an enviable bounty...eventually. :) Nope, you know a little too much about growing food than the average idiot (no names). :) That's okay, without us, I mean idiots, the local farmers' markets would suffer terribly.

    Hope you're having a great (finally) summer!

    ReplyDelete