Sunday, September 11, 2011

The news from When Pigs Fly Farm

CHECK. IT. OUT.

There are a number of words that come to mind as I think about When Pigs Fly Farm this week.

Water. Water. Water.

Naturally, because school started this week and the city pools are closed for the season, temperatures finally shot up into the mid-90s for more than 45 minutes. That's right, we've finally managed to cobble together about 5 consecutive days of hot weather. My bones love it. My petunias love it (although, they're starting to look a little niggly as we approach the end of their growing season). And Team Tomato at WPFF loves it.

Well, well, well. Look who's finally getting with the program -- Mr. Stripey!

Harvest. Harvest. Harvest.
Team Tomato is making its move. Snowberry, the cherry heirloom, all but jumps into my picking container, and guess who had a Cherokee Purple caprese salad for dinner this week?


Yumm. Caprese salad. So easy, so simple -- fresh tomato, sliced, and fresh mozzarella, sliced (none of that pizza stuff, puh-leeze), topped with fresh chopped basil and a balsamic reduction.

From Farm to Table: WPFF Balsamic Reduction

1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup honey

Simmer on low for 4 hours (Yes. Really. 4 hours). This will make your toes curl up when you drizzle it on salads, steaks, chicken. Well, pretty much anything edible.
 
Farmer Jim has gone into the picante sauce manufacturing business with his tomatoes. (I had a taste a couple nights ago -- delicious. I will wrestle the recipe away from him and share it here soon.) And there are already two quarts of Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce in my freezer.

Flowers. Flowers. Flowers.

The sunflowers are in their glory. I love these guys.

I've never grown sunflowers before, but I am addicted now. There will be a spot for them in all future gardens. They are jubilant, almost defiant, sentinels of the last days of summer, helping us deny ignore the fact the days are getting shorter, the nights cooler, and yes, there are hints of yellow and red in the trees above.

Oh yes. I do love these guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment