Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The art of losing at Words with Friends

Thanks, memestache.com -- you read me like a book.
My latest addiction pasttime is the virtual game Words with Friends, having gotten hooked started casually enough during my convalescence from foot surgery.

Keep the mind active while the foot is on ice, I always say. (And, as a footnote -- ow, sorry -- I feel compelled to mention it appears I will be icing these two little tootsies well after I am dead and buried. Which will be difficult at best because I'm opting for cremation.)

Anyway. And the primary source of my addiction fascination?

How much I lose. Now granted, there are (mostly) no more of the 300- to 400-point-losses of my first few games, but it is truly AMAZING how many games I, a woman of so-called letters, lose.

So, this weekend, I decided to Google study up on Words with Friends, hoping crack the mysteries of this wildly addictive mildly enjoyable game.

Comes down to this: Words are actually secondary in Words with Friends. Words with Friends involves S.T.R.A.T.E.G.Y. 

I am doomed.

For I sucketh at strategy.

Let me give you a little example of this: The first time my date and I played Settlers of Catan with The Miz and Number One Son, I spent the entire game happily collecting bricks.

Don't ask me why. It just made sense at the time, okay?

But as my little pile of bricks grew and grew, I found I was quickly surrounded by vaste empires run by (who knew?) megalomanic family members.
I'm the one with all the bricks.
Needless to say, I lost. But my brick collection was impressive.

Hence, I am fascinated with WWF's strategic little tricks of the trade. I read about them, see them played against me, attempt to implement them myself. My hopes skyrocket when a score of anything over 30 flashes on my screen, only to be dashed when I see I've set my opponent up for a score of 60 or 70.

Sigh. I've been out-strategied by strategy.

Is there no end to this?   *gasp*  Apparently there is not -- because in my trolling search for WWF enlightenment, I came across this odd little Internet entity, WWF Cheat.

Whoa. Wouldn't I just love to give you my seventh-in-a-row rack of all vowels and say, "Have at it, bitch"?

No. But I won't. BITCH is a b.a.d word.

I don' need no stinkin' WWF Cheat.

But can I keep the links to "Words with A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y and Z"?

Game on.

2 comments:

  1. You sound like you might still be drugged up.

    This WWF could be just what I need to break my Mahjong Shanghai addiction that I picked up while recuperating from the knee op. Insidious online games. I'm beginning to smell conspiracy. Should I check it out or would that be too dangerous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you must @ Bermtopia

    ReplyDelete