Saturday, April 30, 2011

The news from When Pigs Fly Farm


The news is -- the weather's been crap. Cold, damp and dank. I've been amassing packets of seeds -- not to mention two heirloom tomato plants -- with nowhere to go.

Oh, wait a minute. That was LAST week's report.

Well, my friends, not much has changed. We've had freezing temperatures, rain, snow, wind. . . and, yes, you've heard it here, graupel.

What is graupel you might ask? My factoid BFF Wikipedia defines graupel as "supercooled droplets of water condense on a snowflake." How sweet.

(As a kid, we called it corn snow. I like that better.)

No matter how you shovel it, graupel is white precipitation, aka, snow. Something that should be long gone at the end of April. Even my tulips, typically very enthusiastic early bloomers, are having a hard time embracing this year's spring-that-never-was awakening.

But back to WPFF. I put fennel (courtesy of a friend at work) in the ground last Sunday.

And then it snowed.

Although carrots are still MIA, I have microscopic sightings of arugula and romaine lettuce -- as does Farmer Jim.

And then it snowed.

And, yes, those ARE tomato plants in my dining room. I think they've now taken root.

1 comment:

  1. Well, that sucks; however, I'm pretty excited to have learned a new weather word, although, snow corn does sound better than graupel.

    I certainly hope pigs fly some warmer weather in there soon.

    ReplyDelete